Thanks for your interest in The Sufferfest Complete Training System App. We're going to make you a faster, more powerful, more complete athlete. But before we do, we need to make sure you have everything you need to get the most out of the app.
REQUIRED: WINDOWS OR MAC COMPUTER, iPAD or iPHONE
Obviously, you need something to run our app on. Here are our Minimum Hardware Requirements. If your equipment is there, you're good to go.
REQUIRED: BIKE & TRAINER TO SUFFER ON
At an absolute minimum, you need some kind of bike to Suffer on. That could be anything from an old exercise or spin bike, up to the most sophisticated smart trainer. You do not have to connect any devices to the app (although it makes things much more fun - see below).
You can simply pick a video in the app, press play - the app will tell you how fast you should pedal and how hard you should be working based on Recommended Perceived Exertion (RPE).
OPTIONAL: VIRTUAL WATTS CONNECTION
Although training just by 'feel' with RPE is great, you'll get the most out of our workouts if you train with power. When you train with power, the app will set personalised targets - in watts - for you to hit throughout every workout based on a fitness test you can do in the app.
Even if you don't have a power meter or smart trainer, you can still train with power by using our 'Virtual Watts' feature. By connecting a speed sensor to the app, and telling us what kind of trainer you have, we'll calculate your estimated power and give you a personalised workout that will give you the biggest fitness gains. Once you try Virtual Watts, you'll never, ever go back to training by RPE. Here's more about using Virtual Watts and how it works.
To train with Virtual Watts, you'll need:
- A compatible speed sensor
- A compatible trainer
- An ANT+ dongle/receiver if your sensors are ANT+ or if you're using our Windows App.
- And here's how to set it all up for Virtual Watts.
OPTIONAL: HEART RATE STRAP, CADENCE SENSOR
- Have a heart rate strap? Connect it to the app and we'll tell you exactly what your heart rate should be and how you're performing against that target. Find out here whether your heart rate stap will work with our app. You will need an ANT+ dongle/receiver if your heart rate monitor is ANT+ or if you're using our Windows App.
- Have a cadence sensor? Connect it to the app and we'll tell you what your cadence should be and how you're performing against that target. Find out here whether your cadence sensor will work with our app. You'll need an ANT+ dongle/receiver if your cadence sensor is ANT+ or if you're using our Windows App.
OPTIONAL: POWER METER
Have a power meter? Connect it to the app and we'll tell you exactly what your power output should be and how you're performing against that target. Find out here whether your power meter will work with our app. You'll need an ANT+ dongle/receiver if your power meter is ANT+ or if you're using our Windows App.
OPTIONAL: SMART TRAINER
Have a smart trainer? Oh, dear Sufferlandrians, this is going to be awesome. Our app will control your smart trainer, changing the resistance based on your personalised power targets for the workout.
- Just head over to the Smart Trainer Compatibility article and check to see if your equipment is supported.
- You'll need an ANT+ receiver so you can connect your smart trainer. The only exception is Wahoo KICKR/KICKR Snap users have bluetooth control on iOS only. We do plan on implementing FiTness Machine Protocol (FTMS Bluetooth Trainer Control) by April of 2018.
HAVE MORE QUESTIONS?
- Type in your question in the search bar at the top right here and see if we already have an article on it. We probably do.
- Check out our community forums. We have minions that do monitor the forums and answer questions when they come in.
- If you need further help, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
NEXT STEP >>
Get familiar with the Sufferfest App in the article "Navigating The Sufferfest Training System."