Thanks for your interest in The Sufferfest! We're going to make you a faster, more powerful, and more complete athlete. But before we do, we need to make sure you have everything you need to get the most out of the app.
REQUIRED: A Device To Install The Sufferfest App On
Obviously, you need something to run our app on. The Sufferfest app supports Windows, Mac, and iOS devices.
- Here are our Minimum Hardware Requirements.
REQUIRED: A Bike and Trainer
At an absolute minimum, you need some kind of bike to Suffer on. That could be anything from an old exercise or stationary bike, up to the most sophisticated smart trainer.
You do not have to connect any devices to the app (although it makes things a lot more fun - see below).
Simply choose a video in The Sufferfest app and press play - the app will tell you how fast you should pedal and how hard you should be working based on Recommended Perceived Exertion (RPE). Perceived Exertion: The RPE scale
OPTIONAL: Virtual Watts Setup
Although training just by 'feel' with RPE is great, you'll get the most out of our workouts if you train with power. When you train with power, the app will set personalized targets - in watts - for you to hit throughout every workout based on a fitness test you can do within The Sufferfest app.
Even if you don't have a power meter or smart trainer, you can still train with power by using our 'Virtual Watts' feature. Connect a speed sensor to The Sufferfest app, tell us what kind of trainer you have, and we will calculate your estimated power and give you a personalized workout. Once you try Virtual Watts, you'll never, ever go back to training by RPE.
- Here's more about using Virtual Watts and how it works.
To train with Virtual Watts, you'll need:
- A compatible speed sensor
- A compatible trainer
- An ANT+ dongle/receiver (if your sensors are ANT+)
- And here's how to set it all up for Virtual Watts.
OPTIONAL: Heart Rate Monitor and Cadence Sensor
Do you have a heart rate monitor? Connect it to The Sufferfest app and we will tell you exactly what your heart rate should be and how you're performing against that target. Find out here if your heart rate monitor is compatible with our app.
- You will need an ANT+ dongle/receiver if your heart rate monitor is ANT+ only
Do you have a cadence sensor? Connect it to The Sufferfest app and we will tell you what your cadence should be and how you're performing against that target. Find out here if your cadence sensor is compatible with our app.
- You will need an ANT+ dongle/receiver if your cadence sensor is ANT+ only
OPTIONAL: A Power Meter
Do you have a power meter? Connect it to The Sufferfest app and we will tell you exactly what your power output should be and how you're performing against that target. Find out here if your power meter is compatible with our app.
- You will need an ANT+ dongle/receiver if your power meter is ANT+ only
OPTIONAL: Smart Trainer
Do you have a smart trainer? The Sufferfest app will control your smart trainer, changing the resistance based on your personalized power targets for the workout.
- Just head over to the Smart Trainer Compatibility article and check to see if your equipment is supported.
Still Need Help?
- Type in your question in the search bar at the top right here and see if we already have an article on it. We probably do.
- Check out our community forums. We have minions that do monitor the forums and answer questions when they come in.
- If you need further help, please, submit a help request here.